Women Empowerment and Gender Equality are the most important requirements for the enlistment and progress of our nation. In the effort to make Ramanujan College a strong kernel of gender sensitization, the Women Development Cell (WDC)has been constituted in November 2016 under the able convenorship of Dr. Madhu Batta. The Cell has both the faculty and students of the College as its members and works with an aim to create a gender sensitized community within the campus as well as in the society. It has been organising varied academic, technical, medical, cultural and social events for the upliftment of women and spread the real importance of gender equality in the society through the College students.
- Living in a patriarchal society with deep rooted and socio-cultural value of male superiority, the objective of the Cell is to help build an egalitarian society.
- Helping female students live a balanced life where they neither lurk into depression nor take the abode of aggression.
- To stress upon the development of women in every sphere.
- To organize events and activities for women empowerment.
- To create an environment that will help women realize their full potential and give their best.
- Molding and enlightening the young minds and pave their way to grow into balanced and better human beings.
- To encourage female students to be self-reliant and economically independent.
- To instill positive self-esteem and confidence in the female students so that they can take the right decision in and for-their lives.
- Spreading awareness among the students about the social, legal and constitutional rights of women in order to prevent the exploitation based on gender.
- Making females cognizant about different kinds of violence: sexual, physical and mental and to further equip them with the knowledge and strength to fight against them.
- Creating awareness about the need of gender equality.
- Providing equal career opportunities to all the genders.
- Eliminating deep rooted beliefs of gender bias and discrimination.
Major Initiatives/Programs/Activities/Events conducted in the Past 3 Years
- December 21 to December 27, 2016: A programme on “Digital India” was organised in association with NSS, Ramanujan College and Social Action Foundation. Along with the programme, a workshop named “MeraMobilaMeraBatua” was also conducted for the rural and weaker sections of the society.
- January 24, 2017: Organised a “Just a Minute”competition on various women oriented themes.
- January 24, 2017: A talk on “Legal Empowerment of Women in India’s Changing Scenario” by advocate and management scholar Mrs. Shweta Pathak was arranged. Advocate Pathak introduced the students to various Laws and Acts of Indian Constitution which are framed to empower women and give them the space to live their life with dignity and rights.
- February, 2017: Various inter-class debate competitions on different social, political, economic women issues were organised with a motive to spread awareness about gender discrimination and importance of gender equality among students. The competition became a platform where the students expressed innovative and progressive ways to eradicate gender discrimination from the different strata of our society.
- February, 2017: Sahaj Yoga classes for the Non-Collegiate female students.
- March 6, 2017: A talk on “Women Health & Hygiene” by Dr.Amita Jain, Sr. Consultant-Urogynecologist, Fortis Escorts Kidney & Urology Institute in association with NishchalSeva Foundation was organised.
- March 30, 2017: A one-day Outreach Programme was organised. The students and teachers of the Cell visited Chetna Welfare Society, Faridabad, a centre for underprivileged and differently-abled children and conducted various activities and competitions like flower making, diya making, painting, mehendi, storytelling and candle making with the children of the society. Our students conducted some English grammar sessions with the young women pursuing professional training courses at the society. Yoga exercises rejuvenated the small children. Our students also spread awareness about various environmental issues and discussed the ways to curb them. The sessions, competitions and activities were followed by the prize distribution ceremony and group dance performance.
- March, 2017: “Pledge Taking” programme was arranged by the gender champions to assure that each and every College teacher and student promise to treat all the genders equal.
- April 10, 2017: The Women Development Cell in association with the English Literary Society of Ramanujan College and Social Action Foundation (SAF) organised its annual festival “Sashakt”. Theevent celebrated women empowerment through different programs. There was an engaging interactive session with the famous RJ Stutee Ghosh of Fever 104 FM. Ms. Ghosh spoke on changing face of women in media. It was followed by a photography competition-cum-exhibition on the theme of “Women on the Street. A power point presentation competition on the topic “Women and Politics” was also held. A poster making competition held on the topic “Entrapped Women” was arranged. It was an engrossing and enriching event discussing the myriad issues faced by the contemporary women and the competitions gave students a chance to express their ideas and opinions about the same. The nursing students were distributed certificates on this occasion.
- October 25, 2017: A talk on “Cancer Prevention: Strategies for the younger generation” by Dr. Kanika Batra Modi, Attending Consultant, Surgical Oncology, Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute and Research Centre, Niti Bagh was being organised.
- November 2, 2017:A workshop on “Stress and Yogic Exercises” by Dr. Amrit Rajwas conducted.
- The Cell is planning to organize Self Defense Program in association with Delhi Police for the female students to make them self-dependent.
- To help battling examination stress, the Cell is planning to provide medical facilities like counselling sessions and psychologist visits in the college.
- The Cell is working hard for creche facility.
- A meditation Centre will be established to deal with the everyday stress and anxieties of the female students.
- For a healthy and fit life, yoga camps and aerobics classes will also be organized by the Cell.
- To spread the importance and ways for women empowerment and gender equality various talks, workshops and events will be organized. These programmes will also provide platform to female students to understand their unexplored skills and talents.A Gender-Champion sub-committee will be constituted for the same and also to the participation of the students of the College at a mass scale in this humanitarian effort.
The Centre has planned the following tasks for Dec 2017-Feb 2018:
A subcommittee of Women Development Cell comprising of four teachers and twenty students including gender champions and an N.G.O. will work together at different places including Non-Collegiate and School of Open Learning centres to spread the awareness and organize various programmes for the upliftment of women.
Web Link for women development cell: Facebook-